Adherence to the declaration of climate emergency for tourism
In September 2019, the Valencia City Council declared a climate emergency within the framework of adhering to the initiative promoted by the Alliance for Climate Emergency. In January 2021, the Mayor signed the declaration of the fifth anniversary of the Paris Agreement, reaffirming the commitment to put climate action at the center of all urban decisions to achieve climate neutrality and create equitable communities
The plenary session of the City Council approved in February 2021 the València Ciudad Neutra mission, as “a great opportunity for the city of València due to its impact on people's health, sustainability, ecological transition, adaptation to climate change, attraction of investments, the promotion of carbon neutral economic initiatives, the creation of jobs and the promotion of research and innovation ”.
Aligned with our city, and within the framework of the tourism strategy, we have joined Turismo Declara, an initiative that supports organizations, companies and professionals in the tourism sector to declare a climate emergency and take measures to reduce their carbon emissions. According to the advice of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC), global carbon dioxide emissions should be reduced to 55% in 2030 and tourism must assume its responsibility and take immediate action to achieve this purpose collectively. .
Like all signatories, when declaring with Turismo Declara we have committed to the following five actions:
- We will develop a "Climate Action Plan" within the next 12 months, setting out our intentions to reduce carbon emissions over the next decade.
- We publicly declare our commitment and will share our "Climate Action Plan" and update our progress each year.
- We will work to conserve our ecosystem and keep it healthy, to reduce the effects of climate change in our home. In our "Climate Action Plan" we will include conservation and adaptation actions with the resources that tourism brings.
- We encourage our suppliers and partners to make the same statement; We will share good practices and actively participate in the Tourism Declara community.
- We advocate for change: We recognize the need for a system change across the industry to accelerate a just transition to low-emission tourism.